Wednesday, April 10, 2013

National Poetry Month: Day 10


If It Is Really True That All You Need Is Love

I have a litany of excuses.
I was in a hurry, the weather,
the text on my phone.

Mostly I was hungry
and thinking about my lunch
which involved lima beans
which I love.

I should have stopped.
I should have stopped and
put my phone and keys
back in my purse.

I should have said
how are you and waited
for your answer
and nodded and murmured yes
no matter what your answer was.

Instead I kept going
for all those reasons and maybe
a little bit of I know better than you, old man.

No compassion
no matter how much I squint back
at my walk past you
on my way to better things
well mostly
on my way
to my own lunch.

No lovingkindness
in my head nod as I hurried past.

So here is an I'm sorry and a you were right
and I hope that next time
I will walk a little slower
and take the time, old man
to call you by your name.

2 comments:

MaxDude said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.