Thursday, April 19, 2012

National Poetry Month: Day Nineteen


Ordinary

The car in front of me
in this morning's traffic
sported a glittering tangle
that I worked hard at deciphering
every stoplight
an opportunity for speculation:
a sequined bra
flashy belt or suspenders
maybe some clunky jewelry
rearranged by the last
backseat passenger?

At the final light
before I headed west and over
the river
the sunlight shifted
and revealed two white plastic hangers
commanding just enough of the light's attention
to make them shimmer
and I drove ahead into my morning
transfixed by everything
ordinary
sparkling
in the morning sun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

a beautiful and thoughtful capture of ordinary

MaxDude said...

Wonderful. You can take anything, and make it an epic poem. Im sort of jealous. :P